Saturday, January 16, 2016

 

A Donkey Loaded with Latin

Ernest Renan (1823-1892), Recollections of My Youth, tr. C.B. Pitman (London: Chapman and Hall, 1883). pp. 140-141:
As a natural consequence of my assiduity in study I was destined for the priesthood. Moreover, I was of sedentary habits and too weak of muscle to distinguish myself in athletic sports. I had an uncle of a Voltairian turn of mind, who did not at all approve of this. He was a watchmaker, and had reckoned upon me to take on his business. My successes were as gall and wormwood to him, for he quite saw that all this store of Latin was dead against him, and that it would convert me into a pillar of the Church which he disliked. He never lost an opportunity of airing before me his favourite phrase, "a donkey loaded with Latin."

La prêtrise était donc la conséquence de mon assiduité à l'étude. Avec cela, j'étais sédentaire, impropre par ma faiblesse musculaire à tous les exercices du corps. J'avais un oncle voltairien, le meilleur des hommes, qui voyait cela de mauvais œil. Il était horloger, et m'envisageait comme devant être le continuateur de son état. Mes succès le désolaient; car il sentait bien que tout ce latin contreminait sourdement ses projets et allait faire de moi une colonne de l'Eglise, qu'il n'aimait pas. Il ne manquait jamais l'occasion de placer devant moi son mot favori: «Un âne chargé de latin!»



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?