Saturday, September 05, 2015

 

The Gods Did Not Die

Ricardo Reis [Fernando Pessoa] (1888-1935), "O regresso dos Deuses," Prosa (Lisbon: Assírio & Alvim, 2003), pp.179-187 (at 181 and 187, tr. Eric Thomson):
The gods did not die: what died was our sight of them. They did not leave. We ceased to see them. Either we closed our eyes, or some mist intervened. They endure, still live as they lived, with the same divinity and in the same tranquillity.

[....]

I believe in the Gods as in a truth or a salvation. Their presence soothes and simplifies. No logic leads me to prefer any other god, more ancient or more recent, to them. To see the springs and woods truly inhabited by real living beings of a different kind seems to me no more absurd than to accept that all this derives from nothing, and that God is the essence of all this. And I have had the good fortune to be born such that I sense naturally the presence of real creatures in the woods and springs; without any classical preconceptions, Neptune is for me a real and distinct person, Venus an authentic being, Jupiter the terrifying and living father of all the serene gods.

Nothing makes greater sense of nature to me, or makes me love it more. The presence of a Nereid delights me when I happen to be near a spring. And the Sileni make pleasant company when in my human solitude I traverse the shady tranquillity of the cool woods.

The loves of the gods, their distant humanity, neither pains nor repels me. What repels me is the death of a God, Christ on the cross, victim of his own father in a religion that aspires to be compassionate.



Os deuses não morreram: o que morreu foi a nossa visão deles. Não se foram: deixámos de os ver. Ou fechámos os olhos, ou entre eles e nós uma névoa qualquer se entremeteu. Subsistem, vivem como viveram, com a mesma divindade e a mesma calma.

[....]

Creio nos Deuses como numa verdade e numa salvação. A sua presença adoça e simplifica. Nada lógico me leva a preferir-lhes qualquer outro deus, mais antigo ou mais recente. Ver as fontes e os bosques habitados realmente por entes reais de outra espécie não me parece mais absurdo do que acreditar que tudo isto derivou do nada, que Deus é a essência disto tudo. E eu tive a felicidade de tal nascer que naturalmente sinto a presença de entes reais nos bosques e nas fontes, que, sem preconceitos clássicos, Neptuno é para mim uma personalidade real, Vénus um ente verdadeiro e Júpiter o pai terrível e existente dos calmos deuses todos.

Nada me interpreta a natureza melhor, nem me faz amá-la mais. A presença de uma nereida alegra-me quando me encontro ao lado de uma fonte. E é grata companhia a dos silenos quando atravesso, humanamente sozinho, o sossego sóbrio dos bosques frescos.

Os amores dos deuses, a sua humanidade afastada não me dói nem me repugna. Repugna-me a morte de um Deus, Cristo na cruz, vítima de seu próprio pai numa religião que pretende ser enternecida.
Hat tip: Eric Thomson.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?