Tuesday, April 29, 2014

 

A Word Collector

Marcel Pagnol (1895-1974), La gloire de mon père, chapter 18 (tr. Rita Barisse):
I wasn't much interested, anyway, in what they were talking about. What I was listening to, and waiting for, were the words: for I had a passion for words and secretly collected them in a little note-book, as others collect stamps.

I loved grenade, fumée (smoke), bourru (churlish), vermoulu (worm-eaten) and, above all, manivelle (crank). I often repeated them to myself when I was alone, for the pleasure of hearing them.

Now, in my uncle's talk, there were some brand-new ones and they were delightful: damascened, florilegium, filigree; or grandiose like: archiepiscopal, plenipotentiary.

Whenever I saw one of these mighty three-deckers pass on the stream of his disquisition, I would raise my hand and ask for an explanation, which he never refused. It was then that I understood for the first time that grand-sounding words almost always contain beautiful pictures.
In French:
D'ailleurs, ce qu'ils disaient ne m'intéressait pas. Ce que j'écoutais, ce que je guettais, c'était les mots: car j'avais la passion des mots; en secret, sur un petit carnet, j'en faisais une collection, comme d’autres font pour les timbres.

J'adorais grenade, fumée, bourru, vermoulu et surtout manivelle: et je me les répétais souvent, quand j'étais seul, pour le plaisir de les entendre.

Or, dans les discours de l'oncle, il y en avait de tout nouveaux, et qui étaient délicieux : damasquiné, florilège, filigrane, ou grandioses: archiépiscopal, plénipotentiaire.

Lorsque sur le fleuve de son discours, je voyais passer l'un de ces vaisseaux à trois ponts, j'élevais la main et demandais des explications, qu'il ne me refusait jamais. C'est là que j'ai compris pour la première fois que les mots qui ont un son noble contiennent toujours de belles images.
Related post: An Innocent Occupation.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?