Sunday, August 20, 2006

 

My Intellectual Desire

George Gissing, By the Ionian Sea: Notes of a Ramble in Southern Italy, chap. 1 (From Naples):
Every man has his intellectual desire; mine is to escape life as I know it and dream myself into that old world which was the imaginative delight of my boyhood. The names of Greece and Italy draw me as no others; they make me young again, and restore the keen impressions of that time when every new page of Greek or Latin was a new perception of things beautiful. The world of the Greeks and Romans is my land of romance; a quotation in either language thrills me strangely, and there are passages of Greek and Latin verse which I cannot read without a dimming of the eyes, which I cannot repeat aloud because my voice fails me.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?