Monday, May 30, 2005

 

In Memoriam

Today I remember:
  1. My great-great-grandfather, Philibert Racine (aka Philip Root), who served in the 1st Independent Battery, Vermont Volunteer Light Artillery (also known as Hebard's Battery or the Gray Horse Battery) during the Civil War.
  2. My great-great-grandfather, Robert E. Gilleland, who served as a 2nd lieutenant in Company I of the 99th Illinois Infantry Regiment during the Civil War.
  3. My grandfather, Roy Emory Gilleland, who served with the Russian Railway Service Corps (RRSC) in Siberia during World War I. It took a court case, Hoskin v. Resor, 324 F.Supp. 271 (D.D.C. 1971), before veterans of the RRSC were officially recognized as veterans of the U.S. Army.
  4. My father, Vernon Ellis Gilleland, who served in the U.S. Navy aboard the destroyer USS Melvin (photos, history) during World War II.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?